Jim Walter Homes - Horrible House

In 2006 we signed contract for two story 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home. They piled our house in our yard in stacks in the month of January during cold and rain and did not cover materials.

They hired a drunk man to set the blocks for pier and beam. When construction began the blocks were not set properly so builder put shims under corners of house and continued building. We signed contract for plywood floors and JWH sent OSB which on blueprint plainly states DO NOT USE OSB ON TWO STORY HOME..house was re-leveled twice in less than 6 months and all corners inside are cracked. House is still a mess after all this time and no one would talk to us at any point then JWH filed bankrupt.

We are on our third lender Ditech and all they do is call if you are a few days late on payment. Local lenders will not talk to us because of the bankruptcy of JWH.

But then JWH files for new business under another name and continues to build shoty homes for the unsuspecting. Just give those of us that are still in debt a break..We also have blueprint of home plan and lots of pictures to back up our claim.

Jim Walter Homes - Seems Jim was bad

Turnaround Time

His homes are junk. I have read over and over how the foundations are bad falling apart and junk.

What can be done about this? Can we sue?

Who would we sue?

Our home is 4beds..the biggest one jim walters built.

To just fix the foundation will cost way up there. Then have to strip everything out and rebuild.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Jim Walter Homes - Worst built manufactured home that i have ever lived.

Turnaround Time

The most trashy cheap built piece of crap.the flooring is pressboard and foundational problems did not put drip line around foundation of house and floors have fell through in places.had foundation work to correct spent thousands and thousands of dollars to correct seven years ago made it worst.never never buy another one ever period.used the worst cheap bulding materials needs bulldozing down. Couldn't sell it .lost lots of investments buying such.lost big time money.

Comments

We have a home that Jim built. He didnt even put floor plate.

And put 2 , 2 by 6s on there edge made a 2by 12 with no plate. The home has shifted. To live in it will have to raise home and fix all kinds of bs.

I think the inspector was paid off. What are the law's on this ***

Jim Walter Homes - Home owner

Turnaround Time

The homes are built terribly bad everything.

Comments

I also have a jim walter home!! And this house is built with particles board!!

The whole house is particle board!! My house was literally falling down!!

Its just so sad that people have enough nerve to build these playhouses but charge you a big price!! Im having to literally rebuild my house all over again!!

Jim Walter Homes - Masonite siding and warped floors

Jim walfer built my house in 1984 and the siding is rotted and the floor are terrible warped. What can i do?

Jim Walter Homes - LOVING AND LIVING IN MY JIM WALTER HOME

4.8

My Jim Walter home was built in the later part of 1989. I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS.

, as it was well built and built well, and when the Inspector came by to check the frame up and roof, he looked right at me and said "I've never seen a Jim Walter Home built this good before" and I could tell it was good also and I was a 30 yo gal at that time, hadn't ever built a home before but I read plenty about it in the House and Garden magazines then, now, 30 years later the roof has water spots in the ceiling of one bedroom and the stairway. Maybe it was because I stood there and watched Everything They Did - everyday they were there, I asked questions and I caught mistakes made by the Other contractors like the Heat and Air, they tried to get by with something,,he tried, had I not been there he would have .

Product or Service Mentioned: Jim Walter Homes House Construction.

Reason of review: you have to know how to take care of a home or anything wether it's good or not..

I liked: Design of the homes floor plan.

I didn't like: Cheap windows.

Comments

My bathroom floors have the wrong wood on them. We have busted floor joists and just found out Jim Walter has gone out of business.

Going to cost me thousands in repairs. I'm not happy!

Jim Walter Homes - Recently widowed, Now, Almost homeless at 41

My husband & I purchased a home back in 2002. I was told it is a Jim Walters Home, at that time, I hadn’t heard anything negative.

I believe it is the sears deal days something? Not sure, I wasnt alive yet. I am currently experiencing mold due to foundation issues, the bedroom wall doesnt even meet the floor, I see daylight.. I had no idea until i pulled off the 1x6” they used for baseboard.

I am afraid to even contact the insurance company. They may condemn the whole thing. I have had common repairs such as a roof replacement, & hvac replaced & upgraded over the years, things I thought were my part in the maintenance. I have had an appraisal three years ago, & it was fine, no major issues, but now I have pulled back the wool on my eyes, & there are too many issues to list.

I dont know where to start, and I am afraid I am going to lose everything I have ever invested in my one & only home purchase. If anyone has any suggestions or anything positive to share, please feel free! I have heard good & bad about these homes, but I would run, if anyone is considering purchasing a Walters home built in the South, during the 60’s or 70’s. I am about to lost everything I have, & never saw it coming.

thanks for your time. I would definitely re-write my comment to something supporting these homes if the company chooses to do the right thing. this home was never built right to begin with. Foundation issues, mold, exterior walls arent even square, & no standard for tolernaces even..

its a nightmare I wake up to everyday, & have no idea what to do. Obviously I am not a wealthy person that can afford to rebuild this house the way I am sure Walters intended.

Comments

I'm experiencing the same thing. Only one plate was ran and it's suppose to be two plates where the walls and foundation meet.

Starting having issues with dry rot and when we pulled the siding no flashing and only ine plate. This really ticks me off.

But of course this house has age. But I haven't seen issues like this with older homes.

You cannot prove it wasn't built right. The house is getting up in age you have to repair it. You cannot live in a house and expect things won't have to be repaired.

to Anonymous #1563214

I can prove mine was not built correctly. 1600 feet, two-story, peirs only under one side of the house, no pad under the piers so the house is sinking, warped floors, not pipe in the bathtub overflows, caving in and sinking. Yes, I can prove mine was not built right.

Jim Walter Homes - Love our home !

We built our home in 1992 . The builders were a man and his son in law .

We upgraded the floors windows and cabinets . Had the solid peir and beam foundation . Home is great . No problems .

Raised three kids in it and have just done regular maintenance and updates . Love the home . Had ground treated for termites . Home is sound .

We upgraded things we knew made the difference .

Refinanced in 2003 to get cheaper payments so we now deal with a bank and not their finance company . Love our home !

Product or Service Mentioned: Jim Walter Homes House Construction.

Reason of review: Good quality.

Comments

Hey Will, try using correct grammar and punctuation before jumping on a comment.

#1419545

This is a complaint website.

It is not for apple polishing or free advertising.

Nice try.

Wrong website.

Jim Walter Homes - My expierence is pitiful

JIM WALTER HOMES ARE A JOKE!! IM going to have to almost rebuild my house all over again because the wood they used are particles boards and particle board are the cheapest wood you can buy!!

My flooirs are all particles boards and its literally fallen apart.My kitchen sink is sinking in!! Its really SAD how they charge you all that money for a house and the house isnt worth nothing

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Jim Walter Homes - My Floors are Disintgrating!

My JW home was built in 1999. Currently, we have an unusable bedroom because the floors are falling apart.

Upon inspection by a reputable carpentry company, we discovered the house was built on 2x8"s for a span of 30'! We have soft and sinking spots everywhere and the entire floor now needs to be torn up and replaced! Thank God we only have vinyl down, I can't imagine what it would be like for tile or other construction.

Anyone with information about how to reach Jim Walter and sue the crap out of them for poor construction, please let me know. Thanks!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Jim Walter Homes House Construction.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Monetary Loss: $12000.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.